3 Way Conversations
Monday 27 May - Tuesday 28 May
We are holding the first of two conversations between family, student and kaitiaki in September. These conversations are approximately 20 minutes and allow for an in-depth conversation about your child’s academic progress, learning and achievement. The focus for the conversations will be:
- Presentation from your child about their learning and progress
- Current Achievement - how your child is progressing against the curriculum or NCEA.
- Planning next steps to support your child's academic progress.
Conversations will be able to be booked between the following times:
- Monday 27 May from 8.30am – 7.30pm
- Tuesday 28 May from 8.30am – 7.30pm
Your child will not be required to be at school on Monday 27 May or Tuesday 28 May but will be expected to attend the conversation with you and their Kaitiaki teacher.
We are requiring all students to come in for a conversation, even if parents are unable to make it. This is to ensure that all students have a discussion about their learning and progress. Recent comments from subject teachers, as well as the summary of the first report will be available for parents to access through the KAMAR portal, so you can ask any questions at the conversations.
The KAMAR portal can be reached at https://portal.ohs.school.nz. If you do not have your login or password please contact the school on 09-636-6006.
A summary of the conversation will be posted home at the end of the term.
Booking a Conversation
The following information has been emailed out to all families. The booking website will open on Wednesday 8 May at 8.00am, and will close Saturday 25 May at 6.00pm.
- Go to www.parentinterviews.co.nz, enter the event code HYR9V25Q and click Go.
- Enter your name, e-mail address, phone number, and the names of your children you wish to make bookings for.
- Select each child's Kaitiaki (Interviews are with the Kaitiaki, not subject teachers), by ticking the checkbox beside their name, and then click the Book Interviews button at the bottom of the page.
- Using the timetable, click the Book button beside the time slot you'd like to book for the Kaitiaki. You will be asked to confirm your booking. Continue until you've booked the Kaitiaki for each of your children.
- Before your interviews, you will receive an e-mail reminder containing your timetable.
Questions for Parents to ask:
Parents have an important part to play in the conversations, and we want to ensure that you are included in the conversation - rather than just be given a whole lot of information. Below is a list of questions that you might like to ask / discuss during your conversation with the Tutor teacher.
- How is my child tracking with their achievement? (Junior – E AsTTle/Curriculum Levels / Senior – NCEA)
- Is my child on track to be at the appropriate curriculum level / achieve the appropriate NCEA qualification by the end of the year?
- How is my child tracking with their achievement in towards gaining University Entrance (NCEA Level 3 / Approved subjects / Literacy requirement?) Y13 Students
- What assessments are still to go / when are they due?
- How is the school help going to help my child prepare for external / end of year exams? Will it be offering a tutorial programme?
- Are their options to help my child gain their NCEA qualification this year if they don’t gain enough credits?
- What can we do at home to support our child with their learning / study needs / completing their assessments?
- What are the subjects my child has chosen for next year?